We saw the movie Scott Pilgrim over the weekend–have you seen it? It is based on a comic book series by Bryan Lee O’Malley. In order to win the hand of mysterious punk princess Ramona Flowers, Scott must defeat her seven evil exes.
The movie did nothing to squelch my secret desire for pink hair. Nothing.
I enjoyed the movie but had my biggest chuckles as Scott faces off with ex #3, Todd Ingram, the bassist of The Clash at Demonhead.
Todd just happens to be the boyfriend to Scott’s ex-girlfriend Envy; and Todd also just happens to be, as Envy shares with a good dose of smugness, vegan. The scene continues poking fun at veganism and ends when Scott defeats Todd by tricking the vegan into drinking a cup of coffee with half-and-half. It is Todd’s third offense with the Vegan Police (1st, gelato; 2nd, chicken parmesan), and he is out. Turns out that Todd’s special vegan powers couldn’t save him–he even claimed that vegans use all their brains and the rest of folks only use 10% because the other 90% is filled with “curds and whey.” Hilarity.
As we left the theater, I told hubby that this scene was my favorite.
“Yeah, that was funny–they really captured the pretentiousness of vegans perfectly,” he said.
“Well, it is because our health is far superior!”
“See? See what I mean?”
“Sheesh, I’m joking! Don’t take it all so seriously.”
And then we went out for gelato and chicken parmesan.
Kidding. But, yeah, I was a wee bit enthusiastic about eating vegan when I switched over two years ago–people usually are when something dramatically impacts their life in a positive way. Thanks for bearing with me. Like Todd, I dig me some tempeh, some cashew gravy, some almond milk. We’re 100% vegan at home and try to be when we are out but I do have citations from the Vegan Police.
And this is where I share a good vegan muffin recipe (you can also substitute with dairy)–just in time for the beginning of fall.
Maple-Drizzled Apple Muffins
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup soy or rice milk
1/3 cup Earth Balance butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 ENER-G Egg Replacer for one egg
2 cups grated, peeled apple
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix milk, butter, syrup and egg replacer; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill muffin cups. Top with pecans. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Mix together powdered sugar and maple sugar for glaze and drizzle on top of cooled muffins.